How are Scaffolders Regulated?

When you are looking to hire a scaffolder, it can be difficult to know who to hire, what qualifications to look for so you know that they can be trusted. Today we’re going to share with you the basic regulations and licenses you should look for, to help you ensure that you find a reputable scaffolder that puts safety and proper practices first.


Construction Industry Scaffolders Record Scheme Card

UK law states that in order to put up scaffolding on your property, you need to use a builder or a scaffolding contractor who is trained and competent. You should look for a team who are skilled and have many years of experience in the field, to ensure that they follow health and safety regulations. A qualified scaffolder should hold a valid Construction Industry Scaffolders Record Scheme Card (CISRS). Blitz Scaffolding has trained scaffolders with CISRS qualification and will be happy to show evidence of this, Blitz are proud to be committed wholeheartedly to health and safety on every project.


Do you need a scaffolding license for work on your property?

If scaffolding is to be put up within your property’s boundaries, you won’t need a license. If it falls outside of your property onto the pavement or road, your scaffolder will need to apply for a license through your local council. Here at Blitz Scaffolding, we will take care of any license you may need, but we always encourage clients to double-check paperwork for their own peace of mind. For large projects, where there may be a risk to the public, scaffolding will be scheduled during a quiet time of day or will even require road closure.


UK Scaffolding Regulatory Bodies

Before you go ahead with planning work at your property, it’s important to understand the different bodies who regulate safety in the UK, as I’m sure you will see these names and acronyms pop up frequently. As we mentioned above, we are all CISRS holders, and we have also all passed our CITB (Construction Industry Training Board) Health, Safety and Environment test. There are many other bodies you may see mentioned, and they are just different associations that scaffolders are trained with or associated with.

As with anything, there are multiple regulatory bodies, but any one of these will help show a level of competence and training when comparing companies. We recommend that before anyone erects scaffolding, you know that they are qualified by CISRS or PASMA (Prefabricated Access Suppliers’ and Manufacturers’ Association). Whenever we have a trainee in our team, they are the responsibility of a direct supervisor that we assign to them. Safety is always the key focus in our work, and for work done on your home, and not related to a business, the contractor who is working on the scaffolding is responsible for the safety of the site.

There are many considerations to take into account before putting up scaffolding, and we completely understand our customers’ concerns regarding regulations. We all hold CISRS and CITB certifications and are proud to hold health and safety as our number one priority during any projects we work on.

You May Also Like to Read

It’s Official, We’re Number 1

After a busy year putting up residential and commercial scaffolds all over Kent, taking on new staff, trucks and a hell of a lot of

Our New Logo is Here

As we finish off the end of 2020 (we’re not say to say goodbye to it), we enter into 2021 with a shiny new logo,

Scaffolding Terms Explained

Confused by scaffolding terminology?  We’ve put together this handy graphic and guide to brake down some of the most commonly used terms in scaffolding.  

Blitz Scaffolding